Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Drops and Jumps -- Local Dirt Riding

From Ryan Deroche, Cycle Loft's Service Manager's, 2010 riding diary:

So I started my riding season with lots of riding and baby steps to big drops and jumps. At a local place that we have been riding this drop appeared out of nowhere. Some of my riding buddies had hit it already and the pressure was on. So one beautiful day we went up early. We started with some trail maintenance and then some riding to get me into my flow. I had shuttled the trail that goes to Serene 13 a couple of times to get the rhythm down. Each time riding up to the bridge and hitting the E-brake. Then I got focused and kept my hands off the brakes rolled to the bridge and kept going. Luckily one of the guys had a camera was able to take some footage.


Of course, after doing it once it was easy as pie. So we decided to roll out a train (multiple riders doing the same stunt right behind each other) to step up our game and difficulty.


After that the trails there got a bit boring and we stopped working on them. We wanted to do more riding than digging. So we decided to move on to bigger and better stuff. That's when we went to Highland Mountain Bike Park. I've been to Highland a lot since it they started building trails there. But this year is when I started going big. Even though Serene 13 wasn't my first big drop, it was certainly a milestone for me, I used it to progress and push myself. The Old Growth drop is one of my favorites.


I also did Reef drop but unfortunately no photos of that baby...yet. Now almost all the other drops there seem to flow like water. Gonna have to get a bit more used to the wall ride situation.

I am planning on getting back up there to ride the new Helion additions and progress some more.

--Ryan